Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Method 3: Cloud Computing

Cloud computing is a bit of plus and minus for me at the moment. We have been using Google-Docs, which have been great for surveys in the library, and of course loads of other tools, Wiki has been a boon. Zoho is a new introduction and the writer part with templates is one that should become one that we access a lot. I especially liked Sakura as I have a background in Japan so was drawn to that in its artistry.
I appreciate that some of the sites attempt to be not only functional, eye catching but artistic as well.
The decisions as to how much of the cloud is used for our library is of course in the hands of those who are in charge. Personally I am not willing to trust all of my own data to one huge conglomerate...walking a bit slowly to see how this works out for objective versus personal information. I am one who will use backup and encourage others to do the same, at least for a time.
The idea of user generated material being available, by our patrons, for them to see, share and use is bound to appeal to our young crowd.
Thanks for the introductions and for the opinions and articles on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment